The International Linear Algebra Society
The International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS) is a global professional organization solely dedicated to scientists, professionals and educators interested in Linear Algebra and its Applications. ILAS serves this community in several ways:
- ILAS publishes the Electronic Journal of Linear Algebra (ELA): a platinum open access journal. The journal sets high standards and publishes quality mathematical articles that contribute new insights to matrix analysis and the various aspects of linear algebra and its applications.
- ILAS organizes conferences that since 1989 have taken place over four continents (North America, Europe, Asia and South America). These conferences feature high profile speakers (including prize winners) that present the latest developments in Linear Algebra research along with its wide range of applications. These conferences provide an opportunity for ILAS members and other linear algebraists to present their work and to interact with members of the community. Every ILAS conference also features the ILAS Business Meeting to discuss the organizational issues of the Society.
- ILAS awards internationally recognized prizes to Linear Algebra researchers at different stages in their careers. These prizes are:
- The Hans Schneider Prize in Linear Algebra recognizes research, contributions, and achievements at the highest level of Linear Algebra. This prize has evolved into a prize honoring a researcher’s career.
- The ILAS Taussky-Todd Prize, named after Olga Taussky and John Todd. The prize is awarded recognizing a linear algebra researcher in their mid-career for their significant contributions to Linear Algebra.
- The ILAS Richard A. Brualdi Early Career Prize. This prize is awarded to an outstanding early career researcher for distinguished contributions to the field of Linear Algebra.
- ILAS publishes IMAGE, the semiannual electronic bulletin of the Society. It contains essays related to linear algebra activities; feature articles; interviews of linear algebra experts; book reviews; brief reports on conferences; ILAS business notices; announcements of upcoming workshops and conferences; problems and solutions; and news about individual members. The IMAGE archive also provides a record on how the Society has developed over the years since its inception in 1989.
- ILAS is committed to supporting activities in Linear Algebra, and supports conferences, workshops and lecture series in Linear Algebra and related fields in a variety of ways. This support can be financial (via the ILAS support program for non-ILAS conferences) and/or via endorsements and advertising.
- ILAS maintains a website and a moderated electronic newsletter, called ILAS-Net, to keep the Linear Algebra community abreast of all the latest developments. Through these means ILAS members have the opportunity to communicate to the Linear Algebra community.
- ILAS promotes Linear Algebra to the wider mathematical community via its collaborations with other organizations including the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the International Workshop on Operator Theory and its Applications (IWOTA).
Our web pages provide much more information on each of the items mentioned above, as well as on other aspects of ILAS. We hope that you will be able to explore everything the society has to offer.